21 July 2010

Why I have started this blog

THE other day I thought I'd start a recipe journal - using a funky vintage index file box I'd found.  As I thought about what recipes I'd add to my new recipe file I realised: I have only a handful of recipes that I can actually confidently cook.

Luckily for me my partner Alex is a great cook - so when he's able to cook the evening meal we're spared a permanent diet of toasted tomato sandwiches or pasta spirals!

In my heart I aspire to grow my own organic food, learn to cook what's in season and feed my family well within a tight budget. Simple dreams.

I'm a mother of three and I prepare meals for my family every day - but I have always seen cooking as more of a necessary chore than a joy. It's only recently that I have attempted baking from scratch - rather than from a packet mix.

The surprising thing for me was that I really enjoyed this new skill. I made my first loaf of bread slowly and carefully, kneading it and tending to it and, although that first little loaf took me almost half-a-day to produce, it tasted pretty good!

I have set myself a goal of learning one new recipe a week - but I will need help. That's where you, and this blog, come in.

I'm calling for recipes that a fairly inexperienced home cook like myself could cook. I'll post them here on the blog, along with my own cooking discoveries, and together we will fill My Recipe Journal with tasty healthy recipes that we can all share.

x

Megan

6 comments:

  1. I'm actually quite a good cook, but I tend to only stick to quick and easy meals these days as I'm only cooking for myself.
    I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!

    I began where you are, Megan, and now I make lots of things from scratch and I'm experimenting more and more. My favourite is fresh pasta... mmmm yum!

    I'll send you something a bit simpler to begin with though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, Megan! I'm pleased and honoured to be providing the first recipe, so really hope you enjoy making & eating it as much as I did! ;)

    I've loved baking since I was a child, but love of cooking in general took a little longer. I often take the bare bones of a recipe and renovate it to meet my ingredients or my taste buds. Most of my cooking these days is for me and the boyo, so you could say everything is family-friendly. I'll try not to swamp you with recipes... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much ladies!
    Oh, and Tracy - go right ahead and swamp me with recipes - I need them!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! and such a sweet way of interacting with fellow food lovers!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy new blog Megan, love it!!! xx

    ReplyDelete