22 July 2010

Tracy's Fruity Polenta Slice

Ok folks, here we go - the very first recipe sent into My Recipe Journal. This one was sent in from North Coast NSW mum, Tracy, who also has a blog here.

Tracy writes: "This recipe came from one of my favourite cookbooks, Everyday Cooking, by husband-and-wife team Allan Campion & Michele Curtis, with a couple of modifications by me to make it completely gluten- and dairy-free. But still very, very yummy... Enjoy.

"Polenta gives this slice a slight crunch and a lovely contrast to the honey-soaked fruit." ~ Allen Campion

RECIPE: Fruity Polenta Slice

INGREDIENTS:
*1 tbsp honey
* 250ml (1 cup) hot tea (I used 2 Earl Grey teabags, which added that lovely delicate bergamot flavour & aroma)
* 320g (2 cups) dried fruit (eg. sultanas, currants, raisins. I used a nice dried fruit mix from Fundies.)
* 180g (1 cup) polenta
* 250g (1 2/3 cups) S/R flour (I used Orgran Gluten-Free S/R flour)
* 100g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
* 110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
* 200g butter (I used Nuttelex dairy-free margarine)
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* zest of one lemon, chopped
* 2 Tbsp lemon juice
* 3 lightly beaten eggs (I used large free-range organic eggs)


METHOD:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.

- Dissolve the honey in the hot tea, add the dried fruit, and set aside to soak and cool. (You could do this bit while you make the rest of the mix, but I actually did mine the night before and popped it in the fridge. Nice flavour.)

- Butter a lamington tin, line with baking paper, and lightly butter the paper.

- Combine the polenta, flour, sugars, cinnamon and butter (or margarine), rubbing together until it forms a fine breadcrumb texture. (Using the marg, I found mine became a little moister than that, but it still worked well.) Add the lemon zest, juice and eggs, and mix well. Thoroughly drain the dried fruit, and add fruit to mix, stirring well.

- Spoon mixture into prepared tin, and smooth top. Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 mins, until set and lightly golden brown on top (skewer inserted in centre will come out clean). Cool slightly in tin, before slicing into wedges to serve.

- Lovely warm or cool, and looks extra tasty served lightly dusted with sifted icing sugar.

- Makes approx. 12-24 pieces (depending on how big you cut them - I find the smaller size were perfect).


Thank you Tracy!

2 comments:

  1. this sounds like a lovely different recipe. I have attempted to use polenta before with no success but this was for savoury. Might attempt on weekend. Will let you know if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can confirm that it tastes delicious. 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete